The Railway Systems annotation integrates railway engineering and operations to various MSc programmes to become a railway expert.
This Annotation is currently embedded in the MSc Civil Engineering Track Transport & Planning, MSc Civil Engineering Track Structural Engineering, and the MSc Transport Infrastructure and Logistics (TIL). Students from other MSc programmes may also apply for the annotation in consultation with the annotation coordinator.
The railway sector needs scientifically educated engineers with integrated knowledge of railway systems to deal with the challenges of today and tomorrow. This annotation provides an opportunity for students of various Master programmes to add a fundamental set of railway courses to their curriculum. Integrating topics from railway operations and engineering, like track design, traffic management, safety and asset management, you will be prepared to become a certified railway expert.
Students are qualified for the annotation if they have successfully completed two compulsory courses (8 ECTS), a set of elective courses (14 ECTS or more), and a graduation thesis on a railway topic (30-40 ECTS).
The two compulsory courses consist of:
- CIE4872 – Railway Operations and Control (4 ECTS)
- CIE4874 – Elements of Railway Engineering (4 ECTS)
The elective courses (14 ECTS or more) can be selected from the following list:
- CIE4811 – Planning and Operations of Public Transport Systems (6 ECTS)
- CIE4870 – Structural Design of Railway Track (4 ECTS)
- CIE4871 – Design and Maintenance of Railway Vehicles (4 ECTS)
- CIE4873 – Wheel-Rail Interface (4 ECTS)
- CIE5803 – Railway Traffic Management (4 ECTS)
- CIE5811 – Transport Safety (4 ECTS)
- CIE5875 – Railway Asset Management (4 ECTS)
- CIE5874 – Railway Assets: Performance by Design (4 ECTS)
For questions about the admission and graduation topics please feel free to contact us by email or stop by our department in Stevin II building (Civil Engineering).
Dr. Valeri Markine
Room: S2 2.33, Faculty CEG
Prof. Rolf Dollevoet
Room: S2 2.28, Faculty CEG